This scholarship fund is a lasting legacy honoring Gene T. and Doris O. Shipp. The Shipps demonstrated with their words and lives a commitment to education and to supporting their church community, Second Baptist Church in Bloomington, Indiana. This scholarship is intended to recognize both the Second Baptist Church community and its students’ pursuit of higher education.
This scholarship award is designed to support students who show great potential and have high aspirational goals, but require financial assistance to pursue those goals. Quality candidates will have demonstrated a strong work ethic and commitment to others in their community.
Scholarships will be awarded to students who meet the following qualifications:
- Students with a proven, successful academic career, including obtaining a high school diploma or equivalent
- Students demonstrating financial need to pursue their education
- Priority will be given to students who are members, former members, regular attenders, or otherwise connected to the Second Baptist Church (Bloomington, Indiana) community.
- Students pursuing one of the following credentials:
– Associate’s degree
– Bachelor’s degree
– Master’s degree
– Doctoral degree
Applicants will submit an application with required documentation including:
- Most recent academic transcript
- Student Aid report from the FAFSA application to demonstrate financial need
- An essay narrative (or narrative in another format) describing the student’s goals and how the scholarship will benefit them
- Two reference letters
Questions? Contact Marcus Whited at [email protected] or call the Community Foundation office at 812-333-9016.